Wednesday 9 January 2013

Never match my sweet imagination

Often during the day I will think of a concise,witty and informative blog post. By the time I get home either I have forgotten it entirely, or I start adding to it and spoiling its simplicity. This blog is rather like a conversation (albeit talking to myself...) and once I get started there's no stopping me!

Today I meant to post about tune titles and how knowing a tune title is not the same as knowing a tune. This is one of those lightbulb moments when I discover the blindingly obvious. It comes back to an earlier comment I made about knowing in a sort of general theoretical way and knowing through experience.

Anyway, I'm not doing that post, because the fan offered to cook tonight, so I got Morag out. Like the posts, my playing is never quite as elegant, measured, musical as I imagine when I think about it during the day. I managed to play a fair few tunes dotless - I need to update my playlist. I discovered that if I stare intently into the middle distance in a not-quite-focussed way that helps me get into the zone. I think this means that when I'm playing in front of people I will look totally brainless, but it can't be helped.

Unfortunately, whether I stare into the middle distance or not, the King will not come. I'm tripping over my fingers (as it were), playing non-existent notes, fluffing the few bits that I do know. It's a mess, even with dots  it's a mess. With chanter or full pipes it's a mess. With or without drones it's a mess. On the positive side pressure and pumping seem to be returning to normal. And one day, surely, the King will come...


No comments:

Post a Comment