Saturday 26 January 2013

Not Bad

I think the last post was really just meant to say that I'm not new to folk music, but I also wanted to post about how I listen to music differently these days. However, it's not something I'm in the mood to write about today.

Not played much recently - we've had a visitor staying, The fan says I put obstacles in my way, but I'm aware that pipes aren't to everyone's taste, and somehow pipe playing is not what you'd want from the modern hostess. Morag came out briefly to demonstrate alleged progress I have made since the last time I saw the visitor, and I've tootled on the practice chanter briefly a couple of times when I've been home alone.

Today I've had the Eagle's Whistle in my head. The fan recommended I play it. The last time I tried I had the dots up on my laptop, and hadn't printed them, so I tried to pick it out. The fan identified the opening note and I managed to get the A part, sans much in the way of grace notes, but it's OK, and quite satisfying to play. Like the King it has a really rhythmic rocking beat to it.

The King is still defeating me. Other tunes I tussle with, but mostly manage. The Tree I manage twice through non-stop, with just one error. Not bad, I feel, not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment