Saturday 14 December 2013

O' but ye've been long a'coming

Oh - the shame - two whole weeks without posting. Worse - practically two whole weeks without piping. Mostly it's down to my continued pre-Christmas knitting frenzy. Not everything will be done in time but so far I've managed a neckwarmer, some socks, a scarf, part of a second pair of socks, and a mild case of knitter's elbow.

I've dragged the Monkey out this evening. Our upstairs neighbours are back today from foreign parts. If I had just got off a 13 hour flight I would drink a mug of tea, have a shower and get into bed. The last thing I would want to hear is someone else's music. I've played at the front of the house, away from bedrooms, but the thought of irate neighbours banging at the door made me nervous. Still, I managed a good run through of my regular repertoire, including dusting off Alick C McGregor, because listening to Seudan has reminded me how good it is. Reasonably fast, but total reliance on dots, mysteriously.

Yes, enjoying Seudan very much, and got out Seaforth Highlanders and found several of the tunes in there: Hot Punch, Tullochgorm, Fingal's Weeping, All the Blue Bonnets. Tried some on the chanter, then found MacDonald of the Isles, which sounded good. I must find new tunes.

Still putting the A chanter on the pipes when I put them away, and so play the first handful of tunes on A each time. Not surprisingly this means I'm finding it much easier to play A again, and the switch between the two is also easier.

But I really must play more. I should play every day in January. I don't feel I go backwards much when I don't play, but I certainly don't go any further forwards, and I have to keep marching on.

No comments:

Post a Comment