Friday 29 August 2014

I can hear clearly now

One of the things I am definitely learning  to do on my piping journey is to listen better and to understand more what it is I am hearing. I notice this when I go back to CDs I’ve not heard in a while.

Listening to Seudan I think in the beginning the 4th track, which is a long and fast set of 6 tunes, sounded like one enormous splurge of noise. After a while it resolved into some music with a few familiar repeating phrases in it. It also sounded too fast to play. 

Listening now, and bearing in mind I am only doing the distracted listening in the car, I can easily identify 6 different tracks, many of which sound playable. 

This morning I switched to The Royal Scottish Piper's Recital. On this I can hear tunes that sound rather complex, but I can also hear that the complexity comes from the complex grace notes, so I know the basic tune might well be playable. 

I can hear tunes which (and this was car listening so I need to check it out) I think are four parters, and I think that the fourth and maybe the third, parts might be beyond me, but the first two should be doable and should stand as an item on their own.

Also on the CD I can hear tunes I play  - Flett and Loch Bee.  It feels rather odd, and somehow rather exciting, to hear my tunes being played. It makes me feel like a proper piper!

(Bringing the CD box in from the car to get the title I also realise that one of the pipers is Gary West, whose book Voicing Scotland, I've recently read and may review here. All part of my knowledge of the genre that I am slowly building up, things I am discovering, links I am making.)

No comments:

Post a Comment