Sunday 22 February 2015

Five things - fiddle CDs

The violin was one of the first instruments I came across in life. My father had one handed down from a family member, although I've no idea who, or what they played on it, nor why my father never learned himself. I always knew I would learn, and eventually I did for a few years, but never really got on with it. I didn't hear any fiddle playing: Dad's taste ran to Yehudi Menuhin, Aaron Rosand and the Mendelssohn  violin concerto. 

These days the fan is the one playing the fiddle and my preference is for Scottish, of course, although both Irish and Scandi figure in  my CD collection. Here are five of my favourites.

Eclection. Gabe McVarish. Irish, Scottish, Cape Breton...a truly eclectic mix, with the added bonus of Jarlath Henderson on pipes.

Welcome here again. Martin Hayes and Denis Cahill. One of my favourite duos. Not your usual Irish fiddle, this album is measured, slow and contemplative. Hearing tunes played this slowly, and so plainly  - just fiddle and very discrete guitar - makes you really listen and rethink Irish music.

All dressed in yellow. Fiddler’s Bid. Mostly Scottish, Shetland at that,  with the odd foray into Scandinavia, and one of the liveliest and most uplifting albums I have.  I make no apology for giving it its second five things mention.

Vamm. The album is eponymous. More Scots and Scandi stuff.  

Canaich. I've mentioned this - the first in a trilogy - in my five things on Scottish CDs. It's incredibly evocative of Scottish landscape, I love the use of the spoken word in it, shame about the wrong sort of pipes...

Just squeezing in Salmander by Bellevue Rendevous. Gavin Marwick composed some of the tunes and there are Brittany tunes  and some Klezmer among the Scandi stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment