Tuesday 19 January 2016

Clueless

I've been videoing myself playing on different days in the hope that I will look at some of the footage and see what is going wrong. I prop my tablet up, hit record, and slowly rotate as I play so that I can see the problem from all angles. In addition  to the things I learned the first time I did this I have also gleaned the following useful facts. (That sentence, if you are reading it your head, requires tones of deep sarcasm)

1. These trousers I wear at home are truly awful: saggy, too big, and generally unflattering;
2. I actually also look quite a bit like my mother;
3. The lighting in the bedroom is not good enough for videoing in;
4. I am pushing the outer half of the bellows down a good few inches below the inner half;
5. I tend to hold my chanter at an angle;
6. The drones do indeed sometimes point up towards my right shoulder and at others they point down to my right elbow, and that's when they rest on the bellows. I can't see that I hold the bag or wear the bellows any differently. Which brings me to...
7. When you hold dark pipes against dark clothing in a badly lit room everything is low on detail;
8. I need to rethink my fringe.

So there you have it. Sometimes things go badly - today that included squealing and sudden total loss of air coming through, which didn't seem to be a kink in the tube - and I can see no reason at all for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment