Sunday 23 March 2014

Preparations

Yesterday I sat down with the fan so he could work on some accompaniments for my tunes. This isn't really in the spirit of sessions where normally everyone plays the tune together, but he seems to think it's allowable for me...

We worked at McIntyre's Farewell and put it with the Trail. Now that the Trail is getting faster this gives a nice change of tempo. All the gracing I've been working on vanished in a puff of smoke. However, we're off to new session at the usual venue this afternoon and I'd rather get notes and the switch between tunes right and to hell with the grace notes. I've been working on it again this morning, grace notes and all, on my chanter.

The fan says the set sounds good. Two or three more of those, he says, and I'd be OK for a short slot at our local open mike venue. Absolutely not, say I: you'd need to take me in wearing blinkers, or the hoods they put on the heads of the condemned as they lead them to the gallows. As it is I'm nervous about playing this afternoon. Hence the chanter practice. Hence sitting here wearing mittens to keep my hands warm, fretting.

No comments:

Post a Comment