Friday 30 May 2014

Coincidence

I've been listening to Seadan in the car a lot, and liking all their tunes a lot. I've printed Blue Bonnets and the Wee Pickle Tow (again). Last time I think the Tow was hopeless, but this time I can get it to sound right, albeit rather slow.

Now I've got a few tunes up to warp speed slow feels...painful. I keep skipping along and tripping over things, and having to remind myself that fast has come suddenly to tunes that I've known as slow for a while. (The only irritating thing about the Cabot Trail suddenly revealing itself as a fast tune its that it has resolutely stripped out those blasted grace notes that I've worked so hard on).

Yesterday I flicked through my books looking for jigs and other fast tunes. Reels are, well, too fast, and rely too much on accurate timing, and let's not even think about strathspeys yet. Anyway, I could find nothing to take my fancy. The fan recommended a few, none of which appealed, other than The Drops of Brandy, which I've been working on. Easy peasy bar the bit that goes above high A. I have a key for a high B, but it's a challenge, especially at speed. I need to listen to how it's played on Tryst.

Anyway, I had dots out. I have two versions of the Tow - one with high A's in the second part, the other with low A's. Trying to work out which I prefer. But here's a thing: I notice that the version from the Thomas Glen Collection is followed by a brief tune called The Irishman's Cudgel, with the alternative title of The Drops of Brandy, and it is, just about, the same tune.

I've played every day since last Friday, sometimes only my chanter, and sometimes quite briefly, but I've been enjoying it. It's also preparation: I should have another month of playing every day. The fan will be away for a whole week next month and I will need something to keep me cheerful. I mustn't neglect A though: playing in D all this week to make the most of the sudden increase in tempo.


No comments:

Post a Comment