Friday 17 October 2014

Americana

Monday we dragged ourselves out to see a couple of pipers: Ross Ainslie and Jarlath Henderson, and boy, was it worth the effort. There were some whistles, of course, and some whistles and pipes, but also lots and lots of full on pipes: Irish and Border, one harmonizing around the other, or playing together. There were some Irish tunes that I was surprised to find were playable on Border pipes. Some of it was at a serious speed, and positively rock 'n roll, so it was no surprise to find that Ross was taught by Gordon Duncan.

Some of the songs were...not your usual folk style, let's say. The fan hissed "Gerry Rafferty" in my ear at one stage. Turns out one of the tracks on the album we bought was by him. I really only know Baker Street, and had always - wrongly, it seems - assumed he was American. There's a bluesy feel to that track, I suppose. Ross, with floppy hair and moustache and skimpy army issue shirt looked like a refugee from an early episode of M*A*S*H. So, for me, there was a general transatlantic feel.

But it was great - really invigorating and inspiring. I wish I could say that I came home and fell on my pipes, but the usual problems means I only picked them up this evening and creaked rustily along for a while until my arms started to ache. This really can't go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment