Monday 6 April 2015

Looking back

I though it might be useful, while I'm sat at the crossroads, to remind myself how I got here and where I've come from.

In the first place, it's helpful to remember that it's only four and a half years since I bought a chanter in Edinburgh. It was actually part of a practice set - a  "goose": two metal drones, a plasticy bag and basic chanter. My first set of pipes, Morag, I didn't buy until November 2011, and I haven't had my little monkey quite two years yet. So all in all I've been playing pipes for three and a half years.

During that time I've learned to play tunes from memory, and to play not just one, but two, three or even more back to back. I've even started playing short sets at sessions. I seem to have forgotten a lot of tunes, although to be fair I may still be able to play them, I just don't try much, having others I prefer.

I can play for a decent period of time without feeling in need of a little lie down. I sometimes have problems holding the pipes comfortably, but generally I don't pump more air than I need, twitch, hunch, snatch at the bellows or give myself neck ache. I also rarely now find that my fingers are tight on the chanter.

I've played at sessions pretty much from the outset, although it was never really my intention. It turns out that I rather enjoy it. Playing at sessions I have developed stage fright...and eventually got over it (just about) again. It's also at sessions that I have learned to play with other people, and not get distracted by them and to fudge my way through when I momentarily forget the tune.

So on the whole I've moved forward. I'm not moving as fast as I'd like, and as a consequence I'm not as far down the road as I wanted, but I'm on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment