Wednesday 14 September 2016

Don't I know you?

Pottering round this evening, spending time doing nothing much, and I've put on some music to help things along. It's Piob is Fidheall, which I haven't listened to much in a while.

I was pottering around making a cup of tea, enjoying the tunes when I heard one that I tuned into immediately, because it's one I'm playing at the moment: Hills of Perth. Which puzzled me, because I didn't think Perth was listed in the booklet. Sure enough, there is no mention of Perth, and the first tune on track 7 is down as Donnie MacQueen's. 

No further information is given about the tune in the CD booklet, other than that it was in a manuscript belonging to Duncan Currie of South Uist. Duncan is described as "an ancestor", but no clue is given to dates.

Hmm, further investigation leads me to the website of Cranford Publishing, where a listing of tunes for the CD gives the opener on track 7 as Hills of Perth aka Donnie MacQueen's. Perhaps Duncan Currie meant to indicate it was a tune he learned from Donnie, presumably before it was published by John Wilson, or, indeed, by the LBPS. No clue as to the identity of Donnie, who was presumably more formally Donald, and South Uist, judging by a quick trawl of the web, has had its share of Donald MacQueens over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment