Sunday 17 November 2013

Declutter

I can't bear clutter. Excess stuff weighs me down, makes it hard for me to think. I like clear, tidy, open spaces. I've been steadily collecting a pile of printed sheet music and the bigger the pile gets the less I can think about what I want to do with it, the more untidy it gets, and the harder I find it to locate tunes or remember what I am doing with them. I've decided to be brutal and jettison a whole lot.

The tunes are all very nice, but somehow I just haven't clicked with any of them. Maybe they don't sound their best on pipes (Farewell to Whisky, Braes of Castle Grant), maybe they need to live with other tunes (Dragon, Brose), maybe they aren't that fun to play (Sleat), maybe I've never quite got them right (Cassino), or I've never got them by heart and felt at home with them (Lochanside, The Congress Reel). Whatever it is they aren't tunes that are right for me just now, and I need to get rid of them.

I'm hoping to concentrate instead on finishing Troy, learning some new tunes from the Seaforth Highlanders, and maybe tackling some harder tunes (Snuff Wife, Alick C McGregor).

No comments:

Post a Comment