Friday 22 November 2013

Take your partners

I have a few sets potentially coming together. I feel a bit like a marriage bureau. You pick a couple and you feel they have much in common. Sometimes it's love at first sight. Sometimes it starts well and ends in a nightmare of recrimination and violence. Sometime it starts bad and ends up just perfect. Sometimes it just doesn't work at all.

I'm wondering if the Rowan Tree might get along well with Magersfontein. I'm in too minds about tempo changes in sets - it can spoil the mood somehow. But they start on the same group of notes so the segue from one to the other seems to work.

The Nova Scotia tunes (Captain and Cabot Trail), well, they both come from Novia Scotia, so surely that's a good starting point for a relationship. The main problem is that the pair of them insist on flirting with the Whaling Song and while no one can agree to a menage a trois neither can any pair bring themselves to commit. The Whaling Song is getting overly attached and I find that the A of Whaling keeps running into the B of Captain.

I'm also thinking about introducing Flett to Bee. There's a geographical link again, with both of them hailing from Scottish Islands (Flotta is Orcadian, Loch Bee is on South Uist in the Outer Hebrides)

Meanwhile, I'm flirting with the King again. Our early passion drifted into quarrels, but we're working on patching things up.

Noting today my stamina - just under an hour and many tunes back to back, breaks few and short. I played D and A. A was for the King and Farewell. I made the mistake of playing D first and struggled to adjust, with the bag, drones, bellows all feeling different the moment I switched chanters. Everything felt heavier, more hard work, less comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment