Monday 29 September 2014

Five things - shopping

I'm not much of a one for shopping. From time to time I buy things because I need them, but schlepping round the shops stocking up on pointless tat is not my idea of fun. I have plenty of other ways to fill my time.

I've not spent much time shopping in Scotland, although I have visited the hallowed halls of Jenners simply because it's one of the sights and gets referenced in an Easy Club song, and despite the fact that it is actually a branch of House of Fraser these days. When I do shop I prefer independents to chains. Here are five of my favourites.

House of Bruar. The home of tweed and woolens in lovely colours evoking the Scottish landscape. Best not to think of the associations with "field sports". Just feel the lovely cloth. There is a food hall, too.

The Watermill at Blair Atholl. A real working mill where you can buy bread, flour, muesli or porridge oats...and lunch, too!

Valvona and Crolla. The best Italian deli anywhere, never mind Edinburgh. Best almond croissants and coffee, too. A tiny crammed frontage leads into a counter under goodies hung from the ceiling, there are dried goods, breads, wines and various fruit and veg. Lots of interesting history, and sometimes music, too.

The Old Bookshelf, Edinburgh. Tucked away under an arcade, it's packed with second hand books, mainly children's - but not exclusively. I've bought Angela Thirkells there. Friendly staff. I went in once on a wettish day and remarked that at least it was better than Glasgow, where I had been the day before and where it was distinctly wetter. "Oh aye", came the reply "everything's always worse in Glasgow." They they republish some marvellous books from the past, too in their guise as Greyladies. If you go as far as Bruntisfield Place there are more independent shops, a fabulous cafe, and another good bookshop.

Shilasdair. A small place, barely more than a shed, on the end of Skye. They stock mostly their own yarn in a variety of natural colours, as well as various kits. I wish that I could have a list of five favourite yarn shops in Scotland. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places, but for a country with a strong tradition of knitting it seems to offer very few good yarn shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment