Tuesday 2 September 2014

Painfully slow

Still working on the Horsburgh set. Horsbugh Castle itself is OK, and I've been humming it. It's distinctive, but somehow I'm not sure that it's really doing anything for me, somehow. One day I will go through this blog and itemise all the tunes that haven fallen by the wayside...

Dalnahasaig I've still not found, although I've not looked since Friday. It must be out there somewhere. Braes of Mar I need to check for a version in a useful key still. I've found Glenlyon, but I don't recognise it as I play. It's very short. I need to listen to the CD again now I know what I am listening for, but at the moment it's not taking my fancy at all.

Miss Girdle is more complicated than she looks: it's those runs that are slightly different each time. She also needs to be fast. The Blackberry Bush, in the plain or the MacLeod version, just isn't coming together. I need to listen to the CD again: I can't hum it so I suppose it's no surprise I can't play it.

But I missed Glenlyon among other sets of dots. I have too many and need to tidy. Too many that have fallen by the wayside. I went through the dots an set aside the tunes I can play: Flett, Loch Bee, Dargai, Magersfontein, Galloway, King, Whaling Song, Rowan Tree.  Just eight. Eight poxy tunes after nearly four years. How are the mighty fallen...

And then I thought, actually, apart from Whaling Song which insists on turning in to Troy at the moment, these aren't just tunes I can play. These are tunes I can hum to order, play without thinking about, play when I am too tired to think, play at a session without qualms. These are my rock solid, old reliable tunes. Eight of them.

The other thing that is painfully slow is my netbook. It's driving me up the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment