Sunday 22 March 2015

A waukin-o

Just reading Elizabeth Gaskells's letters and I've come across this version of words for Aye Waukin-o, which Ossian sing on Sealsong.

"Do you know 'Jess Macfarlane'? You ought to know it, it is so pretty, and some of the words have run in my head all evening

When first she came to town
They ca'ed her Jess Macfarlane
But now she's come and gane
They ca' her the wandering darling

I writ my luve a letter
But alas! she canna read -
And I like her a' the better.

I'm rather afraid I've heard somebody say it is not a proper song; but I don't know why it should not be for all I know of it, and I am sure my two verses are charming & innocent."

Elizabeth Gaskell to John Forster, 17 May 1854.

I imagine that "not a proper song" implies some impropriety in the story the song tells, rather than being a criticism of it as a musical piece. She doesn't mention how she knows it, although her eldest daughter studied singing.  Mrs Gaskell mentions an awful lot of friends and visiting, a little about writing, a lot about travel and domestic arrangments, but this is the only mention I've come across of song lyrics.


No comments:

Post a Comment