Sunday 15 March 2015

The plot thickens

I was a little bemused by the title of "Father" John Macmillan, associating, as I do, the title with the Catholic church, because I vaguely believe, inasmuch as I think about such things at all, that the Scottish Isles are generally non-conformist. However, Wikipedia tells me that over 70% of the population of Barra is Catholic. I've also managed, without much effort at all, to track down details of Father John, Catholic priest, born 1880, died 1951; writer of songs, singer, folklorist, popular priest, and friend to Compton  Mackenzie, the author.

I'm having less luck finding out about Norman Macdonald of Broadford, Skye, who may, or may not, have written the tune and named it for Father John. Nor can I find anything to shed light on why Donald Macleod dropped "Father" from the title...or why Deaf Shepherd decided to add it, whichever the case may be.

The Whistlebinkies apparently play Father John on their album, Claddagh where they attribute it to Norman Macdonald and call it Father John. I don't have this album...yet. The review in Common Stock sheds no further light. I will have to check Synergy album notes when I am in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment