Wednesday 6 May 2015

Please release me

I still keep pondering how it seems that tunes choose me, rather than me choosing them. I spotted a discussion on the session recently where people identified tunes that they knew, and liked, but somehow never could play. Some of them were extra long or complex, but on the whole it was about tunes that just didn't click, one way or another.

Conversely there are some tunes that just won’t go away. Although I think I have tunes in my head, at the hummable level or below, most of the time, one of my key tune points is when I am cleaning my teeth in the evening. The moment I stand with toothbrush over the sink the tunes kick in. For a long time, rather randomly because I can’t think when I last heard it played, the tooth cleaning tune was Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves. Sometimes that tune has a break and then the substitute has been something from the first act of La Traviata. More recently both tunes were replaced by Horsburgh Castle. It always seems to take me a moment to identify it, and it always seems like such a good tune, and then I realise what it is and get hit with a tiny bit of disappointment, because it’s one I can already play, but don’t get excited about. Unlike the Hebrew Slaves this one has popped up during the rest of the day, too.

At the moment all tunes, it seems, have been replaced by The Eagle’s Whistle. I’m not even sure if it came out of nowhere or whether listening to either Sealbh or The Sea Stallions recalled it to mind. Either way I hadn't thought of it for ages, much less played it, but it seems to be always in my head, round and round, at teeth-cleaning time and throughout the day. I wonder if it’s trying to tell me something.

No comments:

Post a Comment