Monday 28 December 2015

Of lions and unicorns

I need a new hobby. Of course I need a new hobby, when you think how much time I have to spare. I'm not sure how compatible my new hobby will be with anything else...I've managed to stab my fingers and draw about a pint of blood, and earlier in the day, until I had the technique sorted, I managed to make my bellows elbow quite sore. Anyway, I managed to make a small lion, and I am quite pleased with him.

I am a lot less pleased with my pipes at present and cut an inch off the tubing. It still doesn't feel comfortable, but again I will stick with it for a while. I' m finding that the bellows slide about and I need to lean over and press the bellows down on my pelvis to fill them. Not good.

New tunes are good. Skyeman's Jig the worst of the bunch, not sounding like much at all at present, Peter Mackinnon will maybe be a challenge, Arthur Bignold (who gets a mention in one of my Christmas books) and Hills of Perth both shaping up nicely, at least across the first couple of parts.

Also shaping up nicely is Skippinish. It's not the fan's sort of thing, but I enjoy the simplicity - mainly just pipes (smallpipes at that, in the main!) and box, with a smattering of fiddle; no fancy arrangements to listen to, just good tunes, some new, others familiar (Loch Bee, Flett), played in unfamiliar ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment