Thursday 31 December 2015

Take your partners

I've been enjoying more of Santa's bounty today, in the shape of Gary West's The Islay Ball. I can't remember now how I came across Gary and became aware that he is a smallpiper. He doesn't seem to have released many albums; this one is from 2001.
On one listening I'd say its's a mixed bag. There are SSP and GHB, which is good, plus a few whistles, which I don't mind. There are some cracking trad sets, including a pair of elegant border jigs, a stonking set of Irish tunes and old favourites The Mason's Apron and the Caber Feidh.  There is some nice cello, which isn't what you might expect with pipes, but works well.  On many tracks the guitars and bouzoukis are subtle.

I'm not sure of the point of the one song, which is not in a Scots style. I did listen all the way through and in future it will be my cue to hit the skip button. I'm sure it's good, but it really doesn't belong on a CD of pipe tunes. Many of the tunes are Gary's own compositions and none of them stood out on first listening... Hopefully they will grow on me. Having mentioned subtle the strings the Irish set (with the fabulously-named Hugh MacDiarmid's Haircut) has a load of strings and percussion, which adds to the fun, except the sound mix makes it sound as though they asked Gary to stand at the back and play, which doesn't seem right.

I'm working on the new tunes, adding graces. Some have appeared of their own accord, some slip in nicely, some I play over and over then when I slot the phrase back into the tune the graces vanish on the way. They may come back. I'm also still fine-tuning Women and Sleat. It's going to be a good set, when its ready. I've no idea what set pairings will come out of the new tunes as yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment