Monday 4 April 2016

Playing gooseberry

We had a really good session yesterday. Just five of us, but two who don't come often, so the vibe was quite different. The standard of playing was high and we had a real buzz, with the various musicians bouncing ideas off each other, sharing tunes, playing alternative groupings of tunes. Instead of limping towards, and often of late not reaching, our supposed finish time, we were 20 minutes or more past it before anyone asked what the time was.

It wasn't my best evening. I'm not sure if it was new sessioneers, the pub being buzzier than usual, or the impending storm, but I felt a little nervous and didn't play well. I was also reminded that at a proper Irish (OK, so there were a couple of Scots tunes) session with really good players an amateur smallpiper can really only play a couple of guest spots of an evening. I didn't want to break up the flow of music, so mostly I just sat.

One of the musicians took some pictures for the usual social media platform, which confirms my worry that when I play I look as though I'm about to burst into tears...

No comments:

Post a Comment