Monday 8 April 2013

Quick and easy

Back in the days before I was a piper I always felt that I want an instrument that was quick and easy. Whistles and recorders, for all their faults, can be whipped out with no notice and played upon at once. My violin (and it was a violin, not a fiddle, as I was taught - or bullied and demoralised - in the classical tradition) had to come out of its case, have the rest attached, it had to be tuned, the bow tightened and rosin applied...it all felt like a palaver.

Now, you'd think the pipes would be just as bad. I have to remember where I left them, get them out of the case, strap on the bellows, strap on the pipes, tune the drones; but somehow it doesn't take very long and it doesn't matter. What I would like now is some gadget that sets up to record instantly without me having to find batteries with more than 5 minutes' life left, or fire up the laptop and find the connector leads, and, and, and... If this marvellous gadget could record everything and just let me snip out the section I wanted at the end that would be great.

Because I didn't bother with recording this evening I can't share what is probably my first ever go at getting twice through the Tree and then twice through the Rocks. Also on the menu this evening, Galloway and Teribus, Flett, the King and the Whistle. Oh, and the Banks of Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment