Tuesday 22 October 2013

And there's more!

Another new tune - The Shores of Loch Bee, aka the Sands of Loch Bee or the Glasgow Police March Past. I wish I'd got the recorder out, because I printed the tune out and played it for the first time this evening at a really good pace, and it sounded great. Slight hesitation  over the timing of the end bar of each part, but other than that really good.

The tune was in my head, which really helped. On the Session, where dots are verboten, there is a saying along the lines of you shouldn't play a tune until you know the tune. Certainly knowing a tune makes it easier for me to play through with the dots. Part of me feels that actually I should just be better at reading dots...

Interestingly, one of the sites offering the dots described Bee as a "difficult" tune. In terms of the notes it's a really basic tune, nicely repetitive in the standard way, and short. I guess it's the gracing that warrants the rating, although apart from a handful of taorluaths there's nothing hugely challenging (says she, cheerfully ignoring 90% of it, as ever!)

The tune felt very familiar, and the fan said he thought he knew it. I reminded him that it opens the final set on Sealbh, and played it to him. Oddly, Iain pays it at a slow and stately pace, where I've been playing it at a lively lick. It sounds so familiar at the faster pace. I wonder if I can have heard it somewhere else?

No comments:

Post a Comment