Monday 14 October 2013

More, more, more

I feel in need of new tunes, but am struggling to find any. I need lots, because so often when I think I've found a tune it turns out not to suit me, somehow, and falls by the wayside.

I had a quick squint around Nigel Gatherer's website this evening, but didn't find anything I couldn't live without. Sadly all the Shetland tunes I looked at were for fiddle and not playable on pipes. I've checked Mr MacInnes' various CDs and found dots for Neil Gow's Farewell to Whisky, The Sound of Sleat, MacDonald of the Isles' March to Harlaw and a few others which I may print and try. I also have a birthday forthcoming and am hoping that either the Seaforth Highlanders or some of Donald MacLeod's books might come my way. If those fail to inspire then Braebach have a new album out - and they are coming to our local folk club next month!

The usual session at the weekend. I was too cold. The fan despaired of tuning my pipes - flat, apparently - but the pub was warmer than our flat and once the Monkey and I had warmed up we were fine. I played a few tunes. Someone remarked how relaxed I looked. I think I can relax with the old faithful tunes (it was the Rowan Tree that elicited this particular comment). After the first tune I felt smugly free of stage fright and immediately went into a fit of shivering. I was glad I was sitting down because my lower body shivered so much I think my legs would have given way had I been standing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment