Thursday 31 October 2013

Trick or treat

Just listening to Emma Sweeney. She's playing down our way this coming Monday and we'll be there. Maybe too much American influence for my liking, and I know the fan will spit feathers because she's only 20-something and such a good fiddle player...

I've played a little this evening. Still working on Troy, which is all there, but is in serious need of some polish. Playing around with putting Loch Bee with Flett. I think Flett will need to come first. Still finding it hard to pair tunes up. Magersfontein still trips me up from time to time, but I do like it. The Nova Scotia tunes I played, too, and Galloway. I forget which tunes I know, and have to think about it.

Working hard at the Highland Brigade at Waterloo. It's a rather sombre tune. Still enjoying that C part, and still struggling with the B and D parts with those high As split by two quick notes and a grace. Playing the As, the other two notes, no graces, and as if all four notes had the same time value. I just need to get the fingering right and relaxed and fast. It's a job for the practice chanter, really.

The recording is the Sound of Sleat. Not sure now why I wanted to play it. It's on Seal Song, of course, and in one set on my Grand Concert CD. The timing has taken a bit of work. The opening bars I found difficult, specifically the second bar. The last part is a doddle and I play that faster than anything else. Generally I'm playing too slow. I think I'm there now, timing-wise, but I vaguely wonder why I bothered. It seems a bit dull, somehow.


Check this out on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment