Friday 6 September 2013

A recipe for happiness

Take one long and tedious week, stuffed with boredom and frustration. Sprinkle liberally with end of week lethargy and garnish with the sort of headache that comes with crunching noises in your neck. Add one small black velvet Monkey in D and a collection of tunes, new and old. Apply for one hour.

It works a treat. The only reason I'm not bouncing off the walls in total ecstasy is that when I played Troy fast and furious the recorder wasn't on, and when the recorder was on my playing wan't fast and furious. We all have our off moments.

The fan says I'm almost up to full playing speed and asked how it felt. It feels slightly scary, as if I'm not quite in control or very close to skidding out of control. I'm also finding that although the very small finger movements needed on the D means I can go fast it also means that it takes very little to mess those movements up. If my hands get too warm and slightly damp it means when I lift my finger just the smallest amount it isn't enough to sound the note change.

McIntyre's Farewell is coming on nicely - it really is a lovely tune. Maybe I'll record that this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment