Tuesday 25 February 2014

Mystery

I've been working on some faster tunes: Troy, which has really fallen by the wayside of late, and Athol Highlanders. I need to find dots to remind myself how the fourth part goes. The first part is OK, third ok-ish. But the second! For some reason I cannot fathom the first ACE is a doddle: it makes nice shapes with my fingers, it's good to play. The second, which comes straight after the first is next to impossible. Nearly every time I play I get it wrong, or just grind to halt. Then following that is the ADF, which is even worse, because I can't get it right even the one time. I've tried speeding up, slowing right down, repeating, repeating, repeating... I should record. At one stage I had more recordings of the Highlanders than anything else, but since I moved blogs and lost tunes I seem to have none at all...


Here's another odd thing. I only played briefly yesterday for headache-removing purposes, and decided to play D only. In D again today, and perhaps because I was going fast and getting things wrong and thrashing out bars rather than playing tunes I felt the need to give myself a treat to finish, so moved to A for a tune.... Actually feeling, just after 2 days of D, that I'm losing comfort with A, although much had to do with my hands being so cold and unable to stretch, and A is my favourite right now.


I'm also being plagued by a mysterious tune. I can hear it very clearly, although only as a plain tune: I can't hear any accompaniment, but I am sure it is a Mr MacInnes tune. I hum it, and after a while it morphs into the Heights of Cassino, which I haven't played or heard for an age. Very odd.


The other reason for the brevity of my playing yesterday was that we were going out to hear a spot of music from Messrs McGoldrick, Doyle and McCusker. No mystery there - just some great tunes and some great musicians and a really good night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment