Sunday 23 February 2014

Three's company

February is nearly over and I'm still playing more days than not, although still not playing as much as I could!

Thinking of my recent revelation that it's only a year since I first put one and one together to make a set I thought I'd see how I could better that. I strung tunes together, not necessarily because I feel they would be good sets, but just because that was the way they came in to my head. So I began with Flett, Bee and Magersfontein, moved on to Trail, Captain and Whaling and thence to Town, Galloway and Farewell. Three lots of threes!

After that I played the King and proved one of my theories that I can think about pretty much anything I like while I am playing and not get distracted, provide it's nothing creative. As soon as I started thinking about a design for a pair of fingerless mitts (my hands were frozen) I lost the plot entirely and had to stop.

No such excuse for Dargai, which I played straight after the Tree and just ran into problems with the B part and had to get the dots out. I also got the dots out to fiddle with gracing in the Novia Scotia tunes. I'd like to say that I was being flummoxed by a GED where you might expect a GDE, but I think it's just too many months of grace note laziness on my part. I'm noticing a lot D graces where a C follows an A and I should work on using that.

Still with the dots I went for Troy. Hands way too cold by this stage, but I played through 3 or 4 times and repeated some troublesome phrases over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment