Monday 10 February 2014

Starting from here

I noticed an interesting discussion on The Session today. The subject was the length of time it takes to become a reasonably decent musician. The genre is naturally Irish Traditional Music, and the instrument specifically under consideration was the fiddle.  The Sessioneers are less caustic than of old, but still enjoy a disagreement wherever possible, so I was quite surprised to see a general consensus that yes, five years is what it takes to get to a decent level in most instruments.

At the risk of causing a riot (a very low risk, considering the miniscule readership of this blog) the 5 years seems really rather fatuous. It's like saying that it takes 3 months to drop two stone in weight, or (more helpfully, considering the thread was titled "road maps for progress") that it takes four hours to get to Dublin. Much depends on where you are starting out from and your method of travel. The weather, your map/sat nav/navigator, the state of the roads/rail/sea, or of your chosen jet plane/donkey/bicycle will all also have an influence on your trip.

And what do we mean by "Dublin" exactly: the airport or the harbour; College Green or Phoenix Park?

I started pipes just over two years ago. I'd never played pipes before, but I have played several other instruments, albeit not to any great level of proficiency. I've played recorders and whistles but never had any experience of bags and bellows. I was familiar with Irish and Scottish traditional music in a general sort of way, but couldn't really tell them apart. I could read music, and had done some picking up of simple tunes by ear, but hadn't committed pieces to memory in any systematic way.

So I just about know where I'm starting from, but I have less idea where I am going to. I'm not sure that I will continue on the same direction of travel. Suppose I find three extra hours a day to play, or suddenly can't play at all for 6 months? Suppose I fall madly in love with Northumbrian pipes or decide to take up a box or a banjo? And even if I say I want to be a good piper, what does that mean? Is it Iain MacInnes or Fred Morrison or Mike Katz?

The two useful points I got from the discussion were firstly that we all hit plateaus on our journey and often feel as though we are going backwards, and, secondly, that we should enjoy the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment