Thursday 5 November 2015

Non stick

Kilbowie Cottage has been on my wish list for a while. I've got it on Highland Strands, which I have on pretty much a permanent loop in the car at the moment. It's a fantastic album. The odd thing is that although I think that I love Kilbowie I can never remember what it sounds like until I hear it. Of all the scraps and oddments from the CD going round my head Kilbowie is never one of them. I know it's best to learn a tune I can already hum, but even having the tune on repeat doesn't help, and I do want to play it, so...

I printed the dots, began to play, failed to make head or tale of it, wondered if I had printed the wrong tune (as I think I've mentioned before it is just Kilbowie Cottage and both Braebach and Kevin Macleod list it as John McColl's March to Kilbowie Cottage), abandoned and succumbed to the urge to play John Macmillan. Played a few other tunes, John Macmillan popped up again, went back to Kilbowie and fell straight back into John...

Eventually I remebered that I had The Big Spree indoors so listed to Kilbowie on there, where I discovered that actually it is rather like John  in the opening bars, and that it has some tricky timings, and it is a lovely tune, and it slips right through the hands of my musical memory.... In the end I managed a reasonable rendition of the first part, but it's going to be a harder one than I thought, especially while it remains so elusive to my aural memory.


No comments:

Post a Comment