Friday 30 November 2012

What Passion

First posted Feb 23rd, 2012 by newpiper

I think I've discovered another way of getting a half decent recording: lower your expectations. It's been a bit of a week - very busy, some good stuff (piping inspiration from Michael McGoldrick on Monday), some not so good - but there has been no time for piping. I picked the pipes up this evening while dinner was in the oven, tired and headachy (me, that is, not the dinner). I had a go at three new tunes and couldn't get them to sound even vaguely recognisable. Back to Vicki. This time it's the Golden Birch and I was pleased just to get a single half-decent run through.

My starting is terribly - very ragged - but that's because I'm reaching out to hit the record button and so don't have a good hold on the pipes. I muff some notes. I also feel the sound isn't very even, but I think that's down to my feeling tired.

A new problem - I'm not placing my fingers well - I struggle to find finger holes, I don't get my fingers cleanly on the holes. It's like trying to get an octopus in a bag - no sooner do I cram some tentacles in than others flap out. Annoyingly, even once I've got one tentacle in - and it may have been nicely in the bag for ages - it will suddenly escape. I've never had problems with my fingers before. And although I managed about two hours at the weekend I've managed barely 45 minutes over two sessions today. Not good.

And the passion? St Cecilia's Ode - I got rid of the headache and a slight tendency to grumpiness.

Recording - The Golden Birch. Retrieved - to be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment