Friday 30 November 2012

Leaving Friday Harbor

First posted Apr 2nd, 2012 by newpiper


My fan listened as I played today and we talked a little about learning tunes. I feel I've moved away from learning a phrase at a time to trying to run through whole tunes, but I've also moved from learning tunes I don't know at all - just the next tune in the Green Book - to deciding to learn tunes because I've heard and like them. I tend to run through the first apart most often, because that's where I always start, and often I run over something a couple of times, and then get tired, or cross, and move on to another tune. B parts thus get practised less often, and surely B parts are harder than A parts...


Anyway, the fan says there is no need to learn phrase by phrase - just noodle along, says he, and all will drop into place. Possibly. Either way I worked at some specific phrases in Friday Harbor that were not working well. I played it once through beautifully. My fan was impressed. Was the recorder on? Of course not. Could I repeat it for the recorder? Of course not.


My fan says I'm no longer snatching at the bellows, which I did yesterday evening (but I was tired). He says my endings are better, my tone is improving. I have problems noticing these things. I notice that I am still cautious in my playing - I start off too fast, I slow right down when I'm unsure. I haven't found a way to start off that doesn't sounds as though a small group of animals is rushing through the room. The sound level seems to come and go, although I sat by the recorder. Speaking of endings, you can just here a little clunk right at the end - that's my drones dropping down on each other as I lean over to switch the recorder off.


Working on the Halsway tune. Getting there, slowly.


Recording - Leaving Friday Harbor. Lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment