Friday 30 November 2012

Sunday

First posted Apr 1st, 2012 by newpiper


No recording today. I tried Friday Harbor, but managed not to hit the right buttons. It's coming on well, except for the little run of four Gs in a row - having problems finding suitable gracing that allows me to preserve the timing. Generally I'm breaking the run up with a few Fs, but I don't think that's the best option. Second part still needs work, especially the fiddly bit where a D is followed by another D and C, so grace needed to split the Ds, but the D and C are ...is it demi-semi-quavers? - faster than the norm, anyway, so three notes to cram into less than a heartbeat.


A few problems today with the tube popping out, and my arms aching - but then I did do a little light digging at the plot this morning, and I played for about an hour this evening.


I have dots for the Halsway tune, courtesy of Simon. Tune is in D. Fan said I should put it up a fifth, which turns out to be 5/8 rather than 1/5, and to involve lifting each note by 4. Who knew? 
The mysteries of music theory will always evade me, I fear.

I had a few panicked moments because the pipes are simple things and limited in the number of notes they can play, but in the end there were enough notes to go round. The first few bars were as I had written them the other day, so that was something. The second part is more complex than I had thought - lots of not-quite-repeated bars. Anyway - it's fun to play and I'm getting a recognisable version (where I can read my own handwriting - not sure why hand-written dots are so difficult to read). I will post a version when I get a half decent one.


I could have played more today, but I've been busy knitting and reading a lovely American baking book. I baked nothing from it because I failed to find a recipe that didn't call for over a bag of flour, a whole pat of butter and half a dozen eggs. I did bake good old fruit scones, though, to have with butter and jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment