Friday 30 November 2012

Hector the Hero

First posted Mar 16th, 2012 by newpiper


No luck with Nigel's tune, mostly because although it plagues me all day it vanishes the moment I arrive home. However, I thought I should have a go at Hector the Hero. If I fiddle about on the pipes I often end up falling into a couple of bars of Hector, which mysteriously I then struggle to identify.


I've spent two evenings working on this - playing it, checking dots, playing again, checking dots again. I'm not 100% confident with it, but it's OK. The version here showing that slight lack of confidence. Some of the unevenness of sound I'm blaming on the fact that I was walking round the room as I played. My drones don't seem to be in tune. Some of the notes are a bit wavery. My timing isn't great and and my playing lacks any real feeling or lyricism.


I find when I'm not using dots I can somehow think more about the bellows and bag, and pump less and put more pressure on the bag. I feel as though I've been swinging by my arms - a definite sign I'm doing things differently today. I had a quick run through of the polska with dots, and then found I could get a half decent version without dots, so perhaps it's going to be like riding a bicycle and my brain just now knows how to memorise a tune. That would be nice!


Glad to find I can still play Dusty Pipes by heart - I was afraid the whole thing was a fluke. I did have to start with the second part as I couldn't remember how the first part began, but once I'd run through the second part I went straight into the first without any problems. My fan tells me this isn't unusual.


Small steps - still going in the right direction.


Recording - Hector the Hero. Lost! (Retrieved version on closer inspection was the fan playing the tune on fiddle)

No comments:

Post a Comment