Sunday 17 March 2013

Concentrate

Trying to record today. Recording going well, in that I'm not suffering from red-button-itis as much as I did - the level of mistakes and idiocy is about the same whether I hit record or not. This is surely good.

Technically things aren't going too badly. No particular problems with drones or bellows or fingers. More accuracy would be nice, my drones aren't 100% properly tuned, and, as with most things I play, I could do with throwing in some nice gracing. Pace is OK, and I think I've got the rolling gait that the tune aims at. I'm also improving on the tidiness of my starting and stopping, although sticking my hand out to flick the recorder never helps. As I think I've mentioned previously I'm getting better at readjusting, passing the mistake and moving on, instead of stopping in a heap.

My problem today has been with concentration. As often happens I'd got the recorder plugged into my laptop for power, so in between playing I was checking the news headlines, blogs I read, my email, ordering some contact lens solution, thinking about this blog...and those things and a sudden heavy squall of rain hitting the windows kept distracting me. The upshot is that I didn't capture a single perfect run through.

An aside on drones - the fan is meanly saying that he will only adjust my drones if I tell him what the problem is. My feeling is that I can't because I can't hear them individually, only en masse. However, in between looking at the size of the gaps, and guesswork, I seem to be having a reasonable guess most times, and I can always tell when the adjustment works and everything sounds good. Still having days when the drones sound awful but the fan assures me they are pretty much in tune.



Check this out on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment