Thursday 21 March 2013

Good vibrations

Yesterday when I played I complained that my drones were TOO LOUD. The fan says it's a matter of atmospherics. Well, despite it being spring it's bitterly cold here today, with snow forecast. I guess for Scottish pipes it's weather to make you feel at home, and maybe that's why Morag sounds (to my ear) fantastic this evening. I'm droneless, because I'm working on new tunes, but the chanter is really resonating, with a rich, full sound.

The very new tunes I'm just playing with are two I've been enjoying on the Seudan CD: Alick C McGregor and John Morrison of Assynt House. Alick is doable: I can play the A part (slowly) in a recognisable form. Interesting how the pipe dots differ from the plain dots. John is another kettle of fish. Too many of those damned AAAs that need GDEs and need to be fast. I can't play anything that sounds even vaguely like. Think I'll be ditching this, but I may play around with Alick, see what happens.

Other than that I ran through Tree. I played a bit on Sunday with the fan and he pointed out that some bits of the tune didn't fit the rhythm  On closer inspection I've missed some notes, or merged and shortened some. I think I've fixed that now. Also worked on timings for the King (faster where I am confident and love the particular note combinations) and Home (thinking pauses that had become permanently lengthened notes).

Also on today's playlist Flett (quite pleased with that), Teribus, Troy (A part almost by heart, but see comments above re AAA and GDE), Barren Rocks. (Speaking of playlists, I should update mine).

Recording is Heights. With dots - I've not played it for a bit and having trouble remembering it. I wanted to check timing as the fan keeps saying there's something wrong with it. I suspect the pipe version would be slightly different. Not happy with the four Es in a row, and the three As aren't great either, especially the first time round. It does need work, definitely. No improvement on the last time, either. OK - maybe this version is a tiny bit tidier. Maybe.


Check this out on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment