Sunday 24 March 2013

Patting my head...

Actually tapping my foot, but when piping it's like patting your head and rubbing your tummy. For a long time I couldn't move my feet while piping at all. In the last few days I've managed to get my right leg to do fast jigging up and down, but it's nervous movement more than beating time. Today I've managed to slow it down a bit, if I start tapping first, but the tapping is fairly independent of the playing.

Yesterday the fan and I worked on Home and the Tree, then I got him to help me with The Battle of Waterloo. As often happens his version wasn't the same as my dots,causing some confusion. I also pulled out my CD of pipes tunes that includes the Tree and he had to concede that it's the tune and not me making it hard to keep time throughout. We finished with him talking me through the first few bars of Cam Ye O'er Frae France. I've managed to recall it today, but only on the chanter.

He's out today and I ought to be managing a lot of playing, but it's cold: we have snow. Morag seems to be feeling the cold, and I certainly am - my fingers aren't nimble enough. I've played a few tunes, but it's hard work and I'm going back to my knitting and pile of books on the sofa.

No comments:

Post a Comment