Saturday 24 August 2013

A you're adorable

I've gone back to A today, after a brief farewell fling with D. I've got 9 whole days without work and I'm hoping to get to know the A again over that time.

It took about a tune and half to remember where my fingers went. My bottom hand isn't sitting totally clean on the holes, especially that low G. My right thumb got a bit tense - sometimes I worry that I will snap the chanter in half - but I made a conscious effort to relax my hands and slid my thumb down the chanter and inch or two, which helped.

I'm finding that if things aren't quite comfortable I am actually able to make some adjustments while I am playing. One thing that has to be right before I play is the bellows - I can't get away with a loose strap with A as I don't get enough air through. It is the air pressure that's the challenge. Bag and bellows seem to be rubbing the insides of my arms raw. My shoulders feel tense. I'm hunching a little, and also pressing the bellows down on my hip bones.

But I'll get there, back into the swing of A. And its worth it - that big, deep, rich sound, full and rounded. Adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment