Sunday 25 August 2013

How can you have any pudding?

When I was at primary school there was a rule that you couldn't go up and queue for pudding until you'd finished your main course. I don't think we had to clear our plates entirely, and it may have been the vegetables that we were really to eat as I distinctly remember pushing green vegetables of some sort under a scoop of that awful, almost slimy (but containing mysterious crystalline lumps) mashed potato, which also had to be bashed about to look eaten.

It was the same at home. A request for pudding, even a piece of fruit, would be met with the standard "finish what's on your plate first". My parents, and presumably those who made the rules at school, grew up in wartime and knew the value of food.

I suppose I inherited the waste not want not approach to life. I go to the farm shop each week and I calculate roughly what meals I'll cook in the week and I buy just what I need to make those. Food waste makes me miserable, although knowing it can feed the worms, which in turn feed my allotment, helps.

The point it that I don't like to start one thing until I've finished another. I do this a little with knitting. I won't cast on a proper big project (although I have my eye on one) until I've finished the long abandoned cardigan. Socks, baby items and mittens don't count as actual projects in this world view...

I have some unfinished tunes. Troy is close, but not there yet. The Fiddler and Alick languish, to be honest, barely touched on the side of my musical plate. But I can see other tunes that make my mouth water. I've been listening to Springwell again: I rather like pipe tunes played on strings. I want to play Balmacara,Oh! But will you come to town and, my current favourite, Heroes of St Valery. I can't find Heroes or Will You. Balmacara is by Donald McLeod and according to a Canadian site is in volume 5 of his books. The listing for the same title on Footstompin doesn't include it. So I think I need to look at the books in the flesh. I wonder if Nicholson's open on bank holidays...  

No comments:

Post a Comment