Monday 19 August 2013

Cabot trail

A long weekend, and what with various social activities, a spot of gardening and the usual chores, I somehow haven't played as much as I'd envisaged. I'm also being distracted by my current reading. However, I did manage to play on Friday and I actually recorded.

This is my first try at Nova Scotian music. It's a pair of tunes that happened to be on the one page of my book. I muddle the start because the only difference between the opening bars of the two tunes is the timing.

The tunes are Over the Cabot Trail, by Donald A Beaton, and Capt Angus L MacDonald, by PM Fraser Holmes. The Cabot Trail is interesting for its very limited gracing, and what little there is is very simple, with only the odd doubling or grip. I fluff the end of the A part of Angus each time, for no particular reason.

This is the Monkey in D, with no drones. See endless comments on previous posts about lack of drones... This morning I started humming one of these tunes (although I'm not sure which). They are lovely tunes, but very clearly not Scottish tunes, which perhaps makes it harder to remember: they aren't quite following the expected patterns.



Check this out on Chirbit

No comments:

Post a Comment