Saturday 31 August 2013

It's a getting closer

I did play yesterday. I felt it went rather well. Feeling comfortable with my pipes (no drones. I know, I know...) Some of my clunky doublings are turning into the merest flutter of finger on chanter. Some of my single graces are barely a breaking of the seal between finger and chanter before closing it up again. They sound good. Oddly this is some gracings and doublings on some tunes: same doubling, different tune and the result may be different.

Still playing about with Trail, Captain and Whaling. I am sure the three will work together, but I need to try different combinations. I probably need to record variations, so I can sit and listen and see which works best.

Still pegging away at Troy. A part is fine, except for the ending. There are several variations of this ending through the tune and I keep picking the wrong one. I had GDE on AAA sussed at one stage, only whenever I play it, it sounds good, but seems to be saying "that's not right", and I have lapsed back into the bad habit of playing GDG. Even without catching what my fingers are doing I can hear that's it's wrong. The second AAA in that part I am mysteriously playing three Gs on. I don't know why.

The B is OK, mostly. The C is coming, but its that pesky run up with high As interspersed because it is two high A's, one, two, one, one, two, instead of a steady one, two, one throughout. I also, and I think it's because I am concentrating on the number or As, keep playing the run up as A, B, C, D, F, E, so the last two notes are backwards.

And the D part...bits, slowly, maybe. But my speed is coming along, too. In fact, I played for a while and then treated myself and switched to D and ran through the tune at a fair old lick.

I think I'm really starting to get the hang of this piping business.

No comments:

Post a Comment