Wednesday 14 January 2015

Are we downhearted?

I notice a trend now, that when things go wrong, or just not to plan, I'm less likely to be bothered and to give up or whinge. At one stage  I had a lot of whinge posts in proportion to the total. As I write this (my 410th post) only 53 others are tagged as whinges!

The thing is, I know that there are days when nothing fits, the bellows make my wrist hurt and my fingers numb. I know that there will be days when a tune - or several tunes - won't come, when my fingers don't seem to be attached to my brain or my brain seems only to remember A parts. I know there will be days when one tune just crashes out or won't come at all.

Experience now tells me that all these things will pass. Tomorrow, or the next day everything will have sorted itself as mysteriously as it fouled things up. Sometimes a break is the best form of practice. Sometimes that means literally not playing. Sometimes it means just playing tunes I know as they come to me, or playing tunes I used to know from dots, or playing tunes from dots that I don't know, or working over and over at one tune, bits of tunes.

And even when things go badly I can still enjoy the other bits, I can enjoy looking forward to better piping another day. And I can listen to some great music - I'm really enjoying Whistlebinkies, Jock Tamson's Bairns and Kenneth and Angus Mackenzie at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment