Monday 19 January 2015

Gone, but not forgotten

I suddenly remembered that I used to play McIntyre's Farewell. I couldn't recall it at all. I flipped over the pages in the book, took one look at the first two notes...and discovered I could still play the whole tune by heart.

While I had the book to hand I thought I'd see if any of the Cape Breton tunes played on Piob is Fidheall were in there. I thought I found one. The name looked familiar, although as it's Compliments to Roy A Chisholm that's not surprising. Compliments are a reasonably frequent tune title: Fiddlers Bid play Chris Stout's Compliments to the Bon Accord Ale House, and the name of Chisholm is also familiar (tickets booked to see him this spring!)

When I pulled the CD out I found I was wrong and it isn't on the album, nor are compliments to anyone else. But it's a very good tune indeed, and I'm already getting a decent speed up with it.

Less speed at the weekend when we went to a new (to us) session to support it during the session leader's absence due to illness. Nice venue - not much like a pub at all.  The main downside is the rumble of trains overhead at irregular intervals. Nice friendly crowd, although we didn't really gel musically and people did their own thing here and there. We sat in a semi circle, facing out into the pub, concert style. I had very few nerves, and most of my fluffs were down to random memory loss and cold hands. Only once did I feel panicky and then only very briefly. Maybe the stage fright is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment