Friday 2 January 2015

The real Miss Girdle

So I set myself to unlearn the Miss Girdle I know, and learn another. I do it in the old way. I look at the dots and see that in terms of repeating parts it runs A,B,A,C then D,B,D,C, and so reassure myself that I only actually have four bars to learn. I play slow, slow, slow. I play to work on timing. I play again to work on gracing (the original version had none and I added very little). For some reason inserting gracing screws up timing. The fan says it sounds more like the tune he knows. I listen to the Tannahill Weavers play it, but it goes by in a blur.

And then I decide to check my Seaforth, and what do I find? Miss Girdle, of course. Another Miss Girdle. Quite similar, indeed to the second Miss G, with something of the ending arpeggios of the first Miss Girdle, which I only spot after several playings as the B part isn't repeated, and the second version is up on a separate page of the book. This one goes A,B,A,C then D,B,D,E/D,B,D,F. Six bars to learn. Of this version.

Then I speed it up a little, and do a bit of a double take, because it's Miss G - of course it's Miss G. I feel as though I've just walked passed a friend in the street because they have changed their hair or specs and I've had a moment when I've totally failed to recognise them.

No comments:

Post a Comment