Thursday 8 January 2015

Hang loose

I've always had a bit of a problem with wind instruments such as whistles where in order to reach some higher notes you over blow. I hate discordant notes, especially high discordant notes; I hate the thought that I won't hit the right note. I probably tense and over over blow, as it were. I remember in the days when I played the trumpet being encouraged to go for a higher note, pressing well in to the mouthpiece and giving it all with my lungs. I remember the teacher pulling the instrument away from me so I was barely touching mouth against mouthpiece, and the surprise at finding that note coming easily and effortlessly.

I've been thinking about this recently, noticing how, when  am relaxed, fingers are barely on the chanter. When I am tense my fingers are stiff, I grip the chanter, I find it difficult to move fingers quickly. Soft, loose fingers that don't really hold the chanter, just settle around it, make quick notes and the smallest chirrups of grace notes. I know now when a high A grace needs to be a tap of the thumb, and when a downward - or upward - swipe is better. Everything is more relaxed (usually).

Both Rocks and Dragon (how does The Barren Dragon strike as a set name?) went to pot this evening. I couldn't get either of them right. The fan says it's because I was playing faster, but even the slow walk throughs with all the gracing in was wrong. I don't get cross or bothered by this though. I know by now that if I leave these tunes to fester for a few days they will work themselves out and next time I play they will be fine.

My playing is going well at present: I'm feeling the love. I don't mention it that often these days. I suppose it's a sign of a maturing relationship. Certainly I occasionally have heart flips when I play, but generally it's a warm contented glow. It's going to be a forever thing - me and my Monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment