Friday 27 June 2014

Out, damned dots

I meant to entitle this post "damned if you do" but once I thought of this it was too good to resist...

I've been working hard at Braemar. I've really struggled with the repeated FAFs. They go long, short, standard and I kept wanting to play them as short, long, standard. Still, I kept working away and eventually turned them round. And then the fan said it sounded very good except there were some Scotch snaps I  was apparently missing.

Que? Scotch snaps - short, long, standard. Ah yes, I remembered them well... The fan looked at the dots and confirmed I was playing as written i.e. wrong.

So this evening I've been trying to unlearn my careful learning and switch round the long and shorts. I'm getting the hang of the A then D grace on C business, but where the C is the first note of a "snap" (there are two that go CDA) it's adding to the chaos. Almost wish I'd never bothered with the dots at all....

No comments:

Post a Comment