Friday 8 February 2013

Back to Basics

I really couldn't face Morag this evening: I feel we should give each other a little space. I couldn't renege on my pledge to practise every day though, so out came the chanter. I also dragged out the Green Book and ran through the grace notes in the first few chapters, and the tunes, which are dull and dreary in the extreme. Who picks these for beginners? They really don't inspire in any way.

I also got out The Piper's Helper - one of my books of exercises - and ran through various scales, doublings, grips and tourluaths. It felt rather nice, really, comfortable and familiar, like finding an old jumper you've not worn for ages.  I think I half hoped that I'd feel I'd come on in such leaps and bounds since the days of the Green Book that I'd be cheered, but I can't say I was bowled over by the difference. I dimly remember barely getting a scale out on the chanter before practically passing out through lack of oxygen, but beyond that I don't really remember how easy or hard it was and what my playing sounded like, so it's difficult to compare my playing then and now. I managed to play for half an hour or more before hitting that point when my mouth goes and I simply can't blow any more.

We may go to a sesion tomorrow, the fan and I. I've been asked to take Morag. We'll have to see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment