Wednesday 20 February 2013

Still haven't found what I'm looking for

I decided to just go through Coel Sean and try random tunes today, but that isn't easy. When it comes to sheet music one unknown pipe tune looks pretty much like another. I need to listen to more pipe music. Flipping about the internet yesterday evening I came across David Barnes. I can't find out much about him, but have ordered his CD from Coda. I hadn't realised they had a website. It's one of the fan's favourite haunts in Edinburgh (it's a nice shop, but my favourite is the other end of the mile.)

Hopefully Mr Barnes will introduce me to some new tunes. I tried listening to some on YouTube, but some of the recordings really weren't helpful, one way and another. While I was looking for versions of the Blue Bonnets (which I rather like) I came across a pipe and drum flashmob in California and was reminded what very good tunes the Green Hills of Tyrol and The Battle's O'er are. Both old chanter favourites, but not tunes I've really played on the pipes.

I also looked at this site and found a tune called In Praise of Morag - also known as Marian's Wailing apparently. Sadly it turns out to be piobaireachd, so not at all what I was looking for.

Anyway, I'm going to give the Blue Bonnets a whirl, maybe also the Black Bear and certainly Dick Gossip's, which is a tune I already know from the band. Will they make it to my playlist? Who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment