Wednesday 13 February 2013

Seeing ghosts

I worked on the Eagle's Whistle with the fan this evening. Is there a rule about not teaching tunes to one's significant other? I think there should be. I think in the end I got closer to getting the tune right. I love playing it so much - more than any other piece, and I don't know whether it's that gorgeous rocking rhythm that just hypnotises you, or whether it is something to do with it being dotless. It's almost noteless. "You need another B there" says the fan, and I ask where is there a B? Am I playing a B? because it's just a tune, just something I'm playing, and I don't ascribe notes to any of it.

After that I did battle with the King. Very nearly there with the A part. The B part starts well and flounders most on the second half which is my favourite part of the tune and exactly the same as the A part, where I am note perfect. Why? I have no idea. Sometimes I know what I want to hear and my fingers do something different instead, sometimes I just lose the tune. I think it's back to being in that right space between focussing too much and too little on something. Maybe a tune is like a ghost - you need to catch it out of the corner of your eye.

No recording - I should record, I know. Two more days of work and then nine whole days when I'll have time to live and hopefully that will include recording

No comments:

Post a Comment