Saturday 11 January 2014

Mistaken identity

I felt reluctant to play today: I feel neither confident not competent at present and was rather relieved that the fan didn't feel inclined to venture out to out usual session. I played in A: Murray, Rocks and the Dragon. Then I played the King, then back to Murray, Rocks, the Dragon. I must work on grace notes.

When I am playing a tune I know the bellows and bag are better: playing a new tune I find I lose pressure, and everything comes to a halt, very quickly if I pause or dither, which I do often.

I had pretty much finished for the evening - skipped to the kitchen to put the pan on for the greens - and decided to squeeze in 5 minutes more playing time. I had a tune in my head, which I began to play. I've decided I can tell if it's a tune I know because if I've played it before I can envisage playing the grace notes.

Anyway, after playing a couple of bits with great confidence, and then hitting the rocks, I decided it was The Shores of Loch Bee. So I played the bit that was clear in my head, then though about how the Bee goes, trying to picture the dots, and played that, but it didn't feel quite right. Eventually I realised that I was playing the Heights of Dargai. The two did seem to work together, though, which hopefully bodes well for them being a set.

I'm not totally sure about the Rocks/Murray/Dragon set, just because it means moving from fast(er) (Rocks) to slow(er) (Murray). I must learn them so I can record them and hear how they sound. Maybe the answer is to play Murray/Rocks/Dragon - we'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment